Photo Gallery
Historical Society

Powdermills, 1837

This map was probably produced in connection with the sale of land for the construction of the Railway.

 

Coloured blue is the high level waterway or Mill Head which fed the 4 watermills shown on the map and gave a head of water of about 13 feet.

Coloured red is the low level waterway which took the discharge from the watermills and included channels for taking gunpowder by boat to safe areas for storage and also a canal along which small barges could take the gunpowder to a wharf in Tonbridge from which it would be shipped into larger barges for transfer to the wharf belonging to the Powdermills at Erith.

The plan also shows the location of the Corning House, the Glazing House, the Stable, the Cylinder House, the Carpenter's Shop and the Smith's shop.


A more detailed image of the map is available. This may takeome time to download.
A similar mapshowing a larger area at a smaller scale is available. This may take some time to download.